Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Weekend Recap: Kiawah Island

I have such amazing and fond memories of Kiawah Island from my childhood.  I remember the smells, the sounds, the excitement, the sadness upon leaving, the animals, the trails, the plants, and the sand with vivid detail.  When my parents kindly invited Rich and I to spend the weekend with them during their vacation rental time, we were counting down the days until we arrived (yes...on a whiteboard in our kitchen!).    Just as I'd imagine the weekend did not disappoint.  There is certainly a reason Kiawah Island is considered one of the most amazing places for a family vacation.  Here are a few snaps and memories from Day One in Kiawah:

It is a proven doggie parent fact that all good weekends begin with the Doggie Daycare Drop Off.  Bonus points when the dogs come back to tired they don't move for a few days afterward.  Success!  Also my favorite dress here is on sale!
The first day was the best beach day.  We enjoyed it by taking a nice long beach walk with my parents. I scored this suit on major clearance at Belks.  It is sold out online but I also fancied this little number. 


The miles and miles of well designed and safe trails make Kiawah a real exercise treat!  The first day Rich and I biked for 14 miles all over the island, mostly on a serious alligator hunt.

With views like this, what's not to LOVE?

Sweaty bike break selfie!

On our 14 mile ride, we came across 4 deer.  This set was frolicking on the golf course like two sweet children would frolick.  We were able to get pretty close to them before they ran off. 




 The Nature Center at Night Heron Park had some beautiful creatures on hand.  We were able to get up close and personal with these adorable guys.



At the end of our bike ride, we came across this tower we were able to walk up and see a gorgeous view of the marsh separating Kiawah and Johns Island.  Amazingly we saw only one house far off in the horizon.  Essentailly it was nature all around us and so peaceful.  We could've stayed there for hours if not for the impending rain.

Our first night we grilled and boiled shrimp and scallops and ate outside on the patio.  It was the perfect dinner setting for family time!

There is a special lagoon on the island where the Egrets land each night to roost.  It is so neat to watch them all fly in and gather.  This photo fails to capture all the activity! 



No comments:

Post a Comment