July is over? Ju-lying! July marked my first month of actually writing down my monthly goals and posting it in places I often looked, primarily my office desk and in my purse. It was time to practice what a preach: that a goal without a plan is just a wish, so without further ado, a quick recap of my triumphs (and colossal failures) of the month of July.
1. Read at least one book: Well, I this one I nailed. I actually read TWO books in the month of July, but I fully admit one was a re-read of an old favorite. A close friend kindly sent me a copy of No One is Cuter Than You by Melanie Shankle and I could not recommend it more. In fact, I've already had a few girlfriends read it since my recommendation. I loved it so much I ran out and bought the other two in the series and I am quickly making my way through The Antelope in the Living Room as Rich and I navigate our way through our first few months married. Quite simply, this blogger turned author makes me smile until my checks hurt. My second literary conquest was Something Borrowed by Wake Forest graduate Emily Giffin. This book falls under the category of I may have read it before and loved it so much I had to re-read it. It makes for an amazing beach read, which so happened to be how I tore through it one Sunday afternoon on Sullivan's Island by myself.
2. Meal Plan 4 Dinners a Week: This goal felt like a stretch at the time but with new dishes and cookbooks and a renewed since of motivation to cook, we were able to eat 4 new dishes a week. We discovered a few new delicious family favorites, namely Tex Mex Pitas, and a couple of fails on my part (pineapple BBQ crockpot chicken comes to mind). Probably the most exciting revelation to come from this goal was my ability to effectively only have to go to the grocer story once a week with careful Sunday planning and a new found love of our slow-cooker on Sundays. Per my husbands request and my agreement, this goal will roll right into August.
3. Turn my phone off from 6-8pm: It was a goal for a reason and quite simply, I am still failing at this one. I was mostly motivated to spend time with Rich during these hours at home without the distraction of technology but unfortunately this is an area of growth for me.
4. Dog walks once each day: Sorry puppies, mommy failed at this one too, at your expense. On the upside, there are absolutely been an increase in canine exercise in our house. There is no excuse for us to not able to give these doggies more week day walks, so this goal may have been a bit of a reach in terms of the frequency of walks, but I do think we have increased their outside time. I am looking forward to this trend increase as the temperature decreases. Hello Fall, I have two doggie girls who are eagerly waiting your timely arrival.
1. Begin my Christmas Shopping This year we have twice as many folks on our shopping list. The last few years I have put it off too long and it has been a real budget crunch in those late months with some December birthday's sneaking in there as well. also, I am constantly running across things that would be perfect presents for folks in my life. The real challenge here will be keeping it a surprise for 5 months because I usually can't hold a gift back once I have bought it for someone, as evidence by every gift I've ever bought my husband.
2. Get to the gym 3 days a week: The reality is post wedding exercise is a real challenge. During the months leading up to the wedding I was hitting the gym or a class 6 or 7 days a week. Rightfully so, I was burned out. I've slacked. I've eaten. But, the truth is, I love working out and feeling good, so I think 3 days is a happy medium between the extremes of my last few months. Plus, we give our gym a nice hefty membership fee, so I'd like to feel as though it is warranted.
3. Find a small group at church. I am really enjoying the new church I have been trying out and have desperately been trying to join a small group once life settled down. August brings the start of a new small groups for the church and I really aspire to find one that can be a good addition to my week.
4. Practice my calligraphy: I've dropped the ball in practicing my calligraphy and I'd really like to improve so I can start using it. This will be the month I break out my calligraphy pens and try some more.
So, that's it folks! I'll leave you with my precious baby girl laying by the door with her tennis ball placed conveniently next to the door this morning before I left for work, in a photo I am calling "A Girl with a Dream."


No comments:
Post a Comment