See that veil? I rented it for 25 dollars.
Tip 2: Bridal Shows and bridal magazines are a waste of your time and money.
As a newly engaged fiance I was really excited to pour into bridal magazines dreaming of our perfect day. What those bridal magazines need on the front is a huge label with the price tags of all those high end items to warn wide-eyed brides. While I was able to get a lot of great ideas from those magazines, it also caused a lot of heartache realizing some of those things I loved and lusted after, were well beyond my price range. I had a few moments where I wondered if I would ever find the type of decor that fit my tastes and the price I wanted to stay within. In retrospect, I wish I had steered clear of getting my heart set on any of those magazines or bridal shows.
Tip 3: Photographers blogs are a great source of inspiration
Not quite beauty magazine material but this candid shot is one of my favorite's of the day.
I had the most fun trying to decide on a wedding photographer because it meant I got to look through pictures of REAL weddings from REAL folks. Unlike the magazines that often are staged inspiration shoots, the photo blogs of my favorite local photographers had real vendors I could use in my own area. Once I shifted my attention away from the pretend to the tangible my imagination and my productivity flourished.
Tip 4: Clarity is key. Clarify expectations at the beginning.
Everyone needs a few good ladies who are willing to go up your dress for you. Right?
As a bride and groom you have a lot of latent expectations. For yourself, your family, your friends, society. Not getting an idea if these expectations are fair is a fertile ground for some major disappointment. So many brides expect a certain thing from their loved ones and never share those expectations only to become disappointed when they are not met. Sharing your expectations in a loving way also gives those close to you a chance to let you know if they cannot meet those expectations and everyone benefits! Tip 5: It's only as hard as you make it.
Not really the face of someone pleased with his first bite. But we embrace the imperfection around here.




I LOVE this! I'll have to remember these for May :) I especially like the note about magazines and shows -- they do try to show the perfection, but that's not life!
ReplyDeleteWow I can't believe you found such a discount for your bridesmaids! That's really crafty!
ReplyDelete